The Laminariales (usually called kelp) are an order of brown algae of the Feoficee class. The order includes about a hundred species, many of which are known by the common name of laminaria (in the broadest sense – properly “laminaria” means the genus Laminaria, which gave the order its name).
Here is the best selected item of other customers buying items related to kelp. For more possibilities, look at our full catalog of Kelp or use the search box.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Kelp Reviews
- 2 Offers and Discounts
- 3 Features
- 4 Distribution
- 5 Economic importance
- 6 Cultivation
- 7 Taxonomy
- 8 Buy Kelp Online
- 8.1 Oregon's Wild Harvest, Certified Organic Kelp Capsules with Iodine, Herbal Supplement, 90 Ct
- 8.2 Nature's Way Kelp, 180 Capsules (Pack of 2)
- 8.3 Swanson Kelp Iodine Source 225 mcg 250 Tabs
- 8.4 Solgar – North Atlantic Kelp, 250 Tablets
- 8.5 Sustainably US Grown, Organic Kelp Powder (Ascophyllum Nodosum), 1 Pound (16 Ounce), Organic Kelp Supplement, Contains Natural Iodine for Thyroid Support, Body Wraps, Scrubs & Facials, Vegan Friendly
- 8.6 NOW Supplements, Kelp 150 mcg of Natural Iodine, Easier to Swallow Tablet, Super Green, 200 Tablets
- 8.7 Organic Liquid Seaweed and Kelp Fertilizer Supplement by Bloom CIty, Quart (32 oz) Concentrated Makes 180 Gallons
- 8.8 Nature's Way Kelp; 600 mg Non-GMO Project Verified Gluten Free Vegetarian; 100 Count (Pack of 2)
- 8.9 STARWEST BOTANICALS Organic Kelp Granules,1 Pound
- 8.10 Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer Concentrate
- 8.11 References
Best Kelp ReviewsSelected reviews, tips and more info:
Offers and Discounts
Usually the body (evolved thallus, called cormoid) consists of laminar structures similar to leaves, supported by elongated stems (jambs). A structure similar to a root (rhizoid) still the algae at the bottom.
There are frequent gas-filled blisters (aerocysts or pneumatocysts) that support the plant and bring the branches closer to sunlight. These blisters are also common in other orders of brown algae, e.g. in Rifles.
The reproduction, as in all algae, takes place by means of spores. The life cycle is haplodiplon with dominant sporophyte.
The laminaria can form vegetal associations called “prairies” (or also “forests”, for the bigger species).
Larger laminaria (e.g. Macrocystis pyrifera, Nereocystis luetkeana) can reach heights of 20-30m (in exceptional cases over 50m).
The Laminariali are seaweeds, spread in all the seas of the world, usually close to the coasts.
The ideal habitat for the Laminariali is constituted by shallow waters, rich in nutrients and not too hot (below 20 °C). These conditions can be found, for example, along the coasts of California, where the climate is sunny but the water is made cooler by the California Current.
Many laminarie are edible.
Among these, the kombu algae widely used in Japanese cuisine – properly Saccharina japonica (sin. Laminaria japonica), sometimes replaced by other related species, e.g. Laminaria digitata, is particularly important. Another brown seaweed used in Japanese cuisine is Undaria pinnatifida (wakame), which always belongs to the Laminariali order but to a different family (Alariacee). Still to another family (Lessoniacee) of the same order belongs the arame (Ecklonia bicyclis).
Note that Japanese cuisine also makes use of algae belonging to other taxonomic groups, e.g. hijiki seaweed, which is a brown seaweed of the order Fucali, and nori seaweed, which is a red seaweed.
Saccharina japonica is also used in Korean cuisine, e.g. in seaweed spaghetti (cheonsa-chae). This species has also spread in relatively recent times (first half of the 20th century) to Chinese cuisine.
In Greenland, Iceland and the British Isles, the food consumption of Alaria esculenta, algae similar to Japanese wakame, is traditional.
Herbalism and cosmetics
Laminarie are used as dietary supplements in herbal medicine and dietetics.
They are also used as creams in cosmetics.
Along the Atlantic coasts of France, where there are massive tides, the algae left by the tide (a mixture of various species including mainly laminar) are harvested (goémon) and used to feed livestock.
Industrial raw material
Laminarie are widely used for the industrial production of alginates.
In addition, together with other groups of algae, they are raw material for the extraction of iodine.
Since the 1950s, Saccharina japonica has not only been harvested in the wild throughout the East, but also cultivated, with production now exceeding 700,000 tons per year.
The cultivation, destined both for food and industrial uses, takes place by growing the plants on ropes.
The order includes over a hundred species divided into 8 or 9 families:
- Agaraceae Postels & Ruprecht (approx. 10 species)
- Akkesiphycaceae H.Kawai & H.Sasaki (1 species)
- Alariaceae Setchell & N.L.Gardner (approx. 20 species)
- Arthrothamnaceae (AlgaeBase only)
- Aureophycaceae (only AlgaeBase) (1 species)
- Chordaceae Dumortier (approx. 4 species)
- Costariaceae .E.Lane, C.Mayes, Druehl & G.W.Saunders (WoRMS only) (approx. 10 species)
- Laminariaceae Bory de Saint-Vincent (approx. 60 species)
- Lessoniaceae Setchell & Gardner (approx. 30 species)
- Pseudochordaceae Kawai & Kurogi (2 species)
Buy Kelp Online
Oregon's Wild Harvest, Certified Organic Kelp Capsules with Iodine, Herbal Supplement, 90 Ct
- SUPPORT THYROID HEALTH - Rich in nutrients and mineral content, kelp supplement supplies a significant amount of iodine, which is optimal in support of thyroid function and metabolism
- PROTECTIVE NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT - Powerful 600mgs (per serving) of Certified Organic kelp thallus and 400mgs iodine (from kelp) responsibly harvested from clean Atlantic Ocean waters off the coast of Nova Scotia
- NUTRIENT RICH - One of the most nutrient-rich algae on the planet, kelp has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 5,000 years
- CLEAN INGREDIENTS - Made without artificial flavors, colors, excipients or stearates using verified Non-GMO ingredients. Free of gluten, dairy, wheat, peanuts, soy, and corn allergens
- MADE IN OREGON, USA - All Oregon's Wild Harvest products are proudly manufactured with love in Redmond, OR
Nature's Way Kelp, 180 Capsules (Pack of 2)
- 180 Capsules.
- Dietary supplement.
- A nutrient-rich, brown sea vegetable rich in iodine.
Swanson Kelp Iodine Source 225 mcg 250 Tabs
Great source of iodine
Supports healthy thyroid function
Supports healthy body weight
- Per GMP guidelines set forth by the FDA, most products are formulated for 24 months from the date of manufacture. Liquids and probiotics are formulated for 12 months.
Solgar – North Atlantic Kelp, 250 Tablets
- RICH IN IODINE: Derived from the sea, Kelp is a naturally rich source of iodine which is a key component of the thyroid hormone that plays a role in controlling metabolic rate, growth and development.
- THYROID BENEFITS: The iodine provided by Kelp helps support healthy thyroid hormone levels. Thyroid hormone helps to regulate the function of the energy-producing component of cells, mitochondria.
- KOSHER, GLUTEN FREE & SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS: These tablets are KOF-K Kosher certified and are certified gluten free. They are free of: gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, and sugar. They are also free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and preservatives.
Sustainably US Grown, Organic Kelp Powder (Ascophyllum Nodosum), 1 Pound (16 Ounce), Organic Kelp Supplement, Contains Natural Iodine for Thyroid Support, Body Wraps, Scrubs & Facials, Vegan Friendly
- Sustainably US Grown, Pure Organic Kelp Supplements, 1 Pound (16 Ounce), Kelp Vitamins, No GMOs and Vegan Friendly.
- Natural Iodine Supplement for Thyroid Support, Rich in Immune Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and Vitamin D), Minerals (Iodine, Magnesium, Iron, Potassium and Zinc Vitamin), Flavonoids, Amino Acids, Fibers, Polyphenols, Fatty Acids and Antioxidants.
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Flavors, No soy, No Fillers and No Gluten
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see what the most nutrient dense food on the planet is all about.
- Powder lover? Take it naturally in powder for higher concentration, quicker absorption, easier on the stomach, and more ways to have fun!
NOW Supplements, Kelp 150 mcg of Natural Iodine, Easier to Swallow Tablet, Super Green, 200 Tablets
- 150 mcg OF NATURAL IODINE: Kelp is a large, leafy seaweed belonging to the brown algae family that grows in "forests" in the colder waters of the world's oceans.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY THYROID FUNCTION*: Excellent source of iodine, which has been shown to be essential for healthy thyroid function.*
- EASIER TO SWALLOW TABLETS: Kelp has been used for centuries as an important nutritious staple ingredient in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean cuisines.
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
Organic Liquid Seaweed and Kelp Fertilizer Supplement by Bloom CIty, Quart (32 oz) Concentrated Makes 180 Gallons
- FULLY ORGANIC SEAWEED AND KELP: A seven species blend of Ascophyllum Nodosum, Palmaria Palmata, Ecklonia Maxima, Laminaria Saccharina, Chlorella Vulgaris, Arthrospira Platensis, and Chondrus Crispus.
- EXTRACTED TO PROTECT NATURAL ENZYMES: Clean Kelp’s unique processing techniques give the cleanest possible kelp extract. Get all the benefits of natural kelp enzymes and hormones without the non-nutritious fibrous pulp that gives other kelps their thick, brackish appearance. You can see the difference.
- SIMPLE AND SAFE TO USE FOR ALL PLANTS: Add to every watering, it’s that easy. No risk of over application, plants love kelp. Clean Kelp aids in every stage of growth for root and stem health.
- FOR BOTH PLANTS AND LAWNS: Add Clean Kelp to all of your houseplants, vegetable garden, and your lawn for healthy green plants.
- FORMULATED AND MADE IN THE USA: Designed by botanists and plant chemists. Bloom City chooses only the highest quality ingredient sources and manufacturing methods to create the world’s best craft growing nutrient systems
Nature's Way Kelp; 600 mg Non-GMO Project Verified Gluten Free Vegetarian; 100 Count (Pack of 2)
- SUPERIOR QUALITY STANDARDS: Our Kelp is carefully tested and produced to superior quality standards.
- CONTAINS IODINE: Nature's Way Kelp is a nutritional seaweed guaranteed to contain iodine.
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED: Nature's Way Kelp is produced according to the best practices for GMO avoidance.
- GLUTEN-FREE AND VEGETARIAN: Our Kelp is gluten free and vegetarian, made from plant-derived capsules. It also contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, soy, corn, dairy products, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- SERVING RECOMMEDATION: Take 1 capsule daily. Do not exceed recommended dose.
STARWEST BOTANICALS Organic Kelp Granules,1 Pound
- Certified organic
- Kosher certified
- Not irradiated and no additives or perservatices
Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer Concentrate
- Made from the finest seaweed plant Ascophyllum Nodosum
- Improves seed germination and increases root development. Increases Bloom set and size of flowers and fruit.
- Compliant for use in an organic system, and verified by OMRI listings (https://www.omri.org/)
- Relieves stress in plants caused by extreme weather conditions.
- One of Nature's 'Miracle' plant foods!
- Zhou, Q, Gao, H, Xu, H, Lin, H, Chen, S. Correction to: A Chromosomal-scale Reference Genome of the Kelp Grouper Epinephelus moara. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2021; :. doi: 10.1007/s10126-021-10025-8. PubMed PMID:33638737 .
- Reynes, L, Thibaut, T, Mauger, S, Blanfuné, A, Holon, F, Cruaud, C et al.. Genomic signatures of clonality in the deep water kelp Laminaria rodriguezii. Mol Ecol. 2021; :. doi: 10.1111/mec.15860. PubMed PMID:33629449 .
- Shan, T, Pang, S, Wang, X, Li, J. The inheritable characteristics of monoicy and parthenogenesis provide a means for establishing a doubled haploid population in the economically important brown alga Undaria pinnatifida (Laminariales, Alariaceae). J Phycol. 2021; :. doi: 10.1111/jpy.13153. PubMed PMID:33624318 .
- Fulton-Bennett, HK. Sublethal biomass loss in Egregia menziesii (Phaeophyceae) reveals diffuse meristem tissue. J Phycol. 2021; :. doi: 10.1111/jpy.13152. PubMed PMID:33624309 .
- Davis, TR, Champion, C, Coleman, MA. Climate refugia for kelp within an ocean warming hotspot revealed by stacked species distribution modelling. Mar Environ Res. 2021;166 :105267. doi: 10.1016/j.marenvres.2021.105267. PubMed PMID:33601331 .
Last update 2020-04-15. Price and product availability may change.